Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Crochet Surgery: Cutting up a project to fix a mistake

Today I'm attempting to do some crochet surgery. The bobble blanket I've been working on is my patient. I ran out of the darker green color, and although I searched high and low for a match, I can't find one. So, rather than rip the whole thing out, I thought I'd first try to replace the bobbles with a new color. I'm working on the gauge swatch I did for the blanket first, so that I can practice, and maybe try out a few colors.


First, I'm going to push the bobble a bit to the back so that I can see all of the connections. You may not be able to see it clearly from my picture, but I've put arrows on the 4 places it connects to the other stitches. The bottom is a given, since that is the place where the bobble stitch goes.


Next, I've threaded my needle with a contrasting color, and I'm going to put a lifeline into all four of those spaces, to save them from unraveling when I cut out the bobble (the coloring on the following photos is off, but I was too lazy to correct it on every one but the first two above).


Cutting time! With a deep breath, I cut the bobble where the tie off knot is, and unravel it. Oh boy, that was scary! My lifeline seems to be holding it all together still. Now for a new color. I think I'll start with another green.


This stitch starts in the first two loops of the last sc, and works over the light green that I carried. Then finishes it with the new color. If I insert my hook like so, pulling out the lifeline from those three loops,


I pull up a loop to get started, pushing my tail to the back to be worked over.


Then I put 4 partially completed dc stitches on, and pull through.


Then I take the hook out, and put it into the top row, where a sc will be made into the top of the bobble. through the two legs of the sc above, and then I grab my working loop and bring it through the top.


I take out the hook and re insert it right side up. Then I need one more yarn over to complete the bobble. Now I've got to get this loop on my hook, through the last space.


I think the best way is to cut my yarn, leaving a tail. Then I'll pull the loop up, taking the tail through.


I'll switch over to my needle, and go around the last light green loop space, and back towards the reverse side.


Surgery was a success! I'm not sure about this color though. It's a bit too dark.


Here are a few other bobbles replaced with new colors. We have an aspen print:


Unfortunately, it seems that the colors of the aspen print melt into the background. So that's also a no. How about an off-white?


Hmmm. I just don't know about the high contrast. I'm warming to the dark green though. Well, I can't really think of any other colors that go with the light green background. I have pinks, and purples, tans and browns, reds, and blues, orange and yellow, black and white and grey. But my green is down to just dark green. I do have one medium that might work. It's a bit more green and less blue than the picture, but I'm not sure I can get more if I don't have enough. Let's see:


Well I'm not sure about that either. I think I'll wait for a few votes on which one to use if any. I might have to switch colors altogether if I can't find one to fit. What a lowering thought. Ah well. If you have an opinion, please feel free to voice it.

Until next time, hug some yarn for me!

tazmcfly

No comments:

Post a Comment